- Ariat Paddock Boots Review - September 29, 2022
- Common Horse Trailer Repairs - September 21, 2022
- Best English Leathers Guide - September 20, 2022
With over 20 years of riding experience, I know a lot about saddle pads, and if you want to know about the Ogilvy brand, you’ve come to the right place.
Ogilvy produces high-end, technical saddle pads – favored by both professional and amateur riders because of their superior comfort and design. Ogilvy has many pads on offer, and if you want to know which one to choose, look at the best Ogilvy saddle pads brand guide below.
Bottom Line Up Front
It’s hard to choose the best Ogilvy Pad because they’re all outstanding, but if I must narrow it down to one, it has to be the Eventing Memory Foam Pad.
I love this pad because it combines the memory foam half pad with the traditional friction-free pad to deliver the ultimate comfort and stability. This pad molds to my horse’s back and improves my overall performance in eventing.
A Quick Look At My Top Choices
Before we explore the world of Ogilvy saddle pads, here’s a quick look at my top choices:
- Eventing Memory Foam Pad – This is my favorite Oglivy pad because it provides the ultimate comfort and protection during eventing. It’s incredibly shock absorbing, improves the saddle fit, alleviates pressure points and distributes my weight evenly across my horse’s back.
- Jump Gummy Half Pad – I love this pad because it has the shock absorbing and stabilization qualities of memory foam – but is thinner, more lightweight, and provides more contact with your horse. You can also use it with a range of different English saddles.
- Dressage Friction Free Pad – I love this pad because it’s perfectly cut to fit the dressage saddle and is available in three different designs, straight, round or European backed. The Dressage Friction Free Pad is thin and crafted from shock-absorbing 3-D fibers, which transfer the friction to the inside of the pad, and away from your horse’s back.
What Are Ogilvy Saddle Pads?
Ogilvy is a Canadian brand that produces high-end, technical saddle pads that improve the fit and stability of any saddle. Ogilvy pads took the Canadian equestrian world by storm in 2008 and quickly became a global brand, and you can find Oglivy pads in barns around the world.
Ogilvy saddle pads stand out from other brands because of their unique, innovative design. They offer superior comfort to horse and rider, enhance performance, and are favored by professional riders of all disciplines.
Ogilvy pads are made from high-quality materials and don’t contain rubber, latex, allergenic or irritating materials. They’re designed by equestrians with the input of top professional riders, which is why they’re loved and enjoyed by top-level equestrian athletes and amateur riders alike.
Ogilvy is a top choice in saddle pads because, aside from their outstanding design and function, you can also customize them.
Ogilvy has 14 body colors to choose from – 35 binding colors, and you can add embroidery or a logo to your pad. They have saddle pads for each discipline, including jumping, dressage, eventing, polo and hunting, and have a Western pad in the pipeline.
What Makes Ogilvy Saddle Pads Unique?
Ogilvy pads are unique because they’re super functional with an anti-friction design and a distinctive topline which prevents rubbing. They’re made with special memory foam for the ultimate stability – and a durable, stain-resistant quilting, which is highly breathable. Ogilvy saddle pads are long-lasting and retain their quality even with repeated washing.
Below, we’ll take a closer look at the unique features of Ogilvy pads:
#1 – Ant-Friction Design
The pad materials are carefully selected for their stretch capacity and finish and layered in a way that reduces friction.
They have an anti-friction dorsal panel where the layers slide against each other, which means friction occurs on the inside of the pad and not on your horse’s back. The result is the pad binds the saddle to your horse’s back and follows its movements without causing friction.
#2 – Topline Equilibrium
Ogilvy saddle pads have a unique topline, created through extensive research, testing, and user feedback. The pads have a unique V-shape design that rises over the withers to prevent rubbing and stabilize the saddle. This unique design gives longitudinal and lateral stability to stop the saddle from slipping.
#3 – Unique Memory Foam
One of the main things which makes Ogilvy pads unique is their elasto-visco mousse memory foam. It’s highly shock absorbing, thick and resilient but will compress under the saddle to alleviate pressure points and distribute weight evenly across your horse’s back.
The memory foam effectively fills the gaps between your horse’s back and the saddle, which is perfect if they have back problems or poor conformation. You can also purchase memory foam inserts for some pads to provide even more comfort and improve the saddle fit.
#4 – The Quilting
Traditional pads often have foam quilting, which tends to be unstable – it also breaks down after a few washes, takes longer to dry, and harbors odors and bacteria. At Ogilvy, they use a mix of hollow core fiber mousse instead of standard foam padding.
Hollow core fibers are more supple and durable than standard padding – they are easier to wash, dry quicker and are stain resistant with antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties. The outer quilting of Ogilvy pads is anti-slip and feels soft and luxurious, and the materials are 100 percent recyclable.
How I Choose An Ogilvy Saddle Pad
Ogilvy has a range of saddle pads to suit each riding discipline, so how exactly do you choose the perfect one? When I buy an Ogilvy pad, the main things I consider are the size, style, thickness, my riding discipline and any extra features. We’ll take a closer look at these below
#1 – My Riding Discipline
The first thing I consider when I select an Ogilvy pad is my riding discipline. This is vital because each riding discipline comes with its unique saddle. Dressage pads, for example, are straight at the front, while jumping pads are rounder to accommodate the riding style.
Ogilvy creates pads to suit all saddle types, so it’s easy to choose the right one for your discipline. You can select jumping, eventing, polo, dressage or hunting pads, and soon, they will release a range of Western pads.
#2 – The Thickness
Ogilvy memory foam pads have a standard thickness of 1.25 inches for jump pads and 1 inch for dressage or hunter pads. The unique memory foam in Ogilvy pads will reduce down to ⅛ inch, so they compress where the saddle is close to your horse’s body but also fill the empty areas to provide extra support and prevent the saddle from slipping.
#3 – The Style
Ogilvy pads come in several styles to suit every saddle and a horse’s conformation needs. They range from the baby pad, the smallest in the collection – to the thick memory foam pads, which provide the utmost comfort and are ideal for horses with special conformation needs.
To give you a better idea about the different style pads Ogilvy has on offer, here’s a quick overview:
- Memory Foam Pad – These full-sized pads are the thickest Ogilvy pads and provide the ultimate comfort and support. They combine the features of a half pad with the traditional non-friction saddle pad. These are perfect for high-performance horses and will mold to a horse’s body shape if their condition changes or they have unique conformation.
- Half Pad – Half pads are smaller than standard pads and sit between a large, thin pad and your saddle. Half pads are made from thick memory foam and give the saddle more stability because the foam molds into the gaps between your horse’s back and the saddle to improve fit. They also improve weight distribution and help to equalize pressure points.
- Gummy Pad – Gummy pads have all the features of a memory foam pad but are thinner and denser to give you more contact.
- Profile Pad – The profile pad is a standard saddle pad which is thin and doesn’t contain memory foam. Profile pads are created with poly cotton twill, and you use them alone or in conjunction with a half pad.
- Baby Pad – These are the smallest and thinnest Ogilvy pads and provide the most contact with your horse. They are anti-slip, don’t have girth loops, and are constructed with durable, poly-cotton twill.
#4 – Extra Features
A fantastic extra feature of Ogilvy pads is that you can customize them. You can choose the body color, different colors for the piping and binding, and extra piping for most of the pads. For an extra personalized touch, you can add your name, initials or a logo to the front or back of the pad.
Some Oglivy pads also come with the option to add extra foam inserts, which is ideal if you have a horse with a poorly fitting saddle due to unusual conformation. If your saddle tends to move around when you ride, choose a friction-free pad.
#5 – Buying Info
You can find the whole range of Ogilvy pads on their website, where you can also customize your purchase. Bear in mind that custom pads may take several weeks to arrive. You can also find Oglivy pads online at most major equestrian retailers and in your local tack shop – however, you usually can’t customize store-bought ones.
The Best Ogilvy Saddle Pads
Ogilvy has a range of pads for English saddles which come in many different styles, so you will surely find one to suit your needs. I’ve listed my favorite Ogilvy pads below to help you find your perfect one. I chose them for their style, function and performance in three separate riding disciplines; jumping, dressage and eventing.
#1 – The Best Jumping Pads
Jump Memory Foam Pad
The Jumping Memory Foam Pad combines the memory foam half pad with the traditional design of the non-friction saddle pad. It’s a full-sized pad which helps to improve saddle fit and is highly shock absorbing – making it ideal for jumping.
I love this pad because the thick memory foam molds into the gaps between the saddle and horse’s back – offering maximum comfort and protection for my horse. I also like that you can use the pad with foam inserts for extra stability and to improve saddle fit.
- You can use it with memory foam inserts.
- It provides the ultimate comfort and shock absorption.
- In some cases, this pad is too thick for custom-made saddles.
- It’s one of the more expensive pads in the range.
Jump Baby Pad
The Jump Baby Pad is the smallest in the range and is ideal for general riding. It comes in regular or pony size and has a short, square design – ideal for jumping saddles. This traditional pad is crafted with durable poly-cotton twill with a hollow core fiber, so it’s anti-slip and won’t cause friction.
I love this pad because it’s so secure it doesn’t need girth loops, but you can add them for an extra charge. I also like that it’s thin, breathable, lightweight and allows plenty of contact with my horse when I ride.
- It’s thin and light to give lots of contact with your horse.
- It comes without piping and girth loops, but you can add them for an extra charge.
Jump Gummy Half Pad
The Jump Gummy Half Pad has thinner, denser memory foam which gives you more contact with your horse while providing superior weight and pressure distribution. The Gummy pad has all the features of the memory foam pad, such as the unique V-shaped top line and is highly shock absorbing and breathable.
I love this Gummy half pad because it offers the same comfort as standard memory foam but is much lighter and thinner. It’s versatile and suitable for many disciplines, including eventing, jumping and endurance riding.
- It’s thinner than the memory foam half pad but offers the same level of comfort and protection.
- You can use it on most English saddles.
- It’s one of the most expensive pads in the range.
#2 – The Best Dressage Pads
Dressage Profile Pad
The Dressage Profile Pad is made with durable poly cotton twill to a traditional design and is available in four sizes. It’s a thin pad, which comes with one piping and binding as standard and is stain and odor resistant.
I love this pad because the straight profile perfectly suits a dressage saddle, and you can choose between a European, square or round back. I also love that it’s thin and breathable, so it keeps my horse cool under the saddle, both in and out of the show ring.
- It’s thin, so you have lots of contact with your horse.
- You have to pay extra for double piping
Dressage Friction Free Pad
The Dressage Friction Free Pad is ideal if your saddle has a habit of slipping. It has a unique combination of 3-D shock-absorbing materials which means friction transfers to the middle of the pad rather than your horse’s back. The Dressage Friction Free Pad is available in four sizes and three cuts to suit all dressage saddles.
I love the Friction Free Dressage Pad because it’s thin, breathable and gives me plenty of contact with my horse. I also like that you can add front and rear memory foam inserts to help improve the saddle fit.
- You can add memory foam raisers.
- It has a unique friction-free design.
- You have to pay extra for double piping.
Dressage Memory Foam Half Pad
The Dressage Memory Foam Half Pad provides the ultimate comfort and protection for your horse both in and out of the show ring. This pad is ideal for giving your saddle a more secure fit and offers the ultimate stabilization and shock absorption for competition or routine riding.
I love this half pad because it makes me feel much more comfortable when I ride, and you can use memory foam inserts to adjust the saddle fit. The Dressage Memory Foam Half Pad comes in three sizes, and you can choose between 1 or 1 and a quarter inch thickness.
- You can add memory foam raisers.
- It comes in 1 and 1 and a quarter inch thickness.
- You must use it in conjunction with a full-sized pad.
#3 – The Best Eventing Pads
Eventing Memory Foam Pad
The Eventing Memory Foam Pad is one of my favorites in the Oglivy range because it offers all the comfort and protection you need when it comes to the heavy demands of eventing.
It combines the memory foam half pad with the traditional friction-free design to deliver the optimum saddle fit and comfort for your horse. I love this pad because it’s versatile, you can use it for each stage of eventing, and it will stay firmly in place even under the toughest demands. I also like that you can add front and rear raisers to adjust the saddle fit.
- You can use it with memory foam raisers.
- It provides the ultimate in comfort and protection.
- It’s one of the most expensive pads in the Oglivy range
Eventing Friction Free Pad
The Eventing Friction Free pad is ideal for eventing because it keeps the saddle firmly in place no matter what the competition throws at it. The unique 3-D shock-absorbing materials transfer friction to the inside of the pad, away from your horse’s back.
I love this pad because it is thin and breathable but makes me feel more stable in the saddle. It has one piping and one binding, as standard, and is available in three sizes.
- It’s friction-free and anti-slip.
- It’s thin and gives you plenty of contact with your horse.
- You can’t use it with memory foam inserts
Saddle pads come in thicknesses ranging from half an inch to one and a half inches, and you should choose the thickness according to your riding style. If you spend hours in the saddle riding the trail or working on the ranch – you need a thick saddle pad. If you ride in sporting activities such as barrel racing or showjumping – it’s better to have a thinner pad for more contact with your horse.
Wool or cotton pads are the coolest ones for horses. Natural fibers are highly moisture-wicking and breathable, so they encourage the heat underneath the saddle to dissipate, which cools the area down. Synthetic pads, such as neoprene and synthetic fleece, are less breathable and are the hottest pads.
Choose a saddle pad according to your riding discipline. If you ride Western, you need a large, rectangular Western saddle pad, and if you ride English, you need a smaller English pad. English and Western pads come in many styles to suit different disciplines, such as barrel, roping, jumping and dressage pads, so always choose one according to your riding discipline.
My Top Choice and Conclusion
Ogilvy has an enormous selection of high-quality pads for every occasion, and when it comes to choosing the best, my award goes to the Eventing Memory Foam Pad. I love this pad because it’s thick and stabilizes the saddle, and will enhance performance in or out of the show ring. It has superior shock-absorbing qualities and will make any horse feel more comfortable under the saddle.
A comfortable horse is a calm horse, and the best way to reduce pressure points from the saddle is with an Oglivy saddle pad. Ogilvy pads are incredibly popular with professional and amateur riders around the world and are worthy of their solid reputation.
Ogilvy pads mold the saddle to your horse’s back, distribute the weight evenly and prevent the saddle from rubbing and slipping. They’re durable and easy to clean, highly breathable and moisture wicking and will improve you and your horse’s comfort and performance.
- Dyson, S., et al. “Saddle Fitting, Recognising an Ill-Fitting Saddle and the Consequences of an Ill-Fitting Saddle to Horse and Rider.” Equine Veterinary Education, vol. 27, no. 10, 2015, pp. 533–43. Crossref, doi:10.1111/eve.12436.
- Jade. “What Are the Types of Saddles?” The Saddle Bank, 26 May 2022, www.thesaddlebank.com/what-are-the-types-of-saddles.
- “Ogilvy Equestrian.” Ogilvy Equestrian, www.ogilvyequestrian.com/en/our-technology. Accessed 30 Aug. 2022.
- “—.” Ogilvy Equestrian, www.ogilvyequestrian.com/en/about. Accessed 30 Aug. 2022.
- Yourhorse. “Half Pads Do Help Reduce Forces on a Horse’s Back, Study Reveals.” Your Horse, 10 June 2021, www.yourhorse.co.uk/horse-care/half-pad-study.